Monday, January 7, 2013

Clogged Drains and Firearms

I started thinking today about all of the things Steven taught me over our 6 year journey together and how I often had no interest in learning. Steven was a jack of all trades. There was nothing he couldn't do.. or to clarify, if he didn't know how to do something, he would find the "how-to" video on YouTube and teach himself.
Just before we got married, I had gone on a candle making extravaganza and to make a long story short, a little too much wax got poured down the sink. When Draino wouldn't work to unclog the mess, I asked Steven to get involved. I remember getting so irritated when he insisted that it was my mess and he was going to teach me how to clean it up. Forget it! Not happening! After a 10 minute argument about calling a plumber, I crawled under the sink. Such an easy task! Who knew? All I really wanted was for the man in my life to unclog the drain, but now I am beyond thankful that he taught me how to do it - he probably saved me a ton of money over the course of a lifetime.
More than anything, I am grateful that he taught me how to shoot a gun. And not just how to shoot, but how to reload and clean firearms. I really had no interest in target practice until he came into my life, but he made it look like so much fun! Now with Steven being gone, I find comfort in knowing that if Andrew or I are ever being threatened, not only do I know how to shoot a gun, but I'm a damned good shot!
I've always joked that I don't need a man. Turns out I was wrong. I do need a man... one man... and his name is Andrew. <3

"You know, I feel like young girls are told they have to be this kind of princess and be all delicate and fragile, and it's bullshit! I identify much more with the idea of being a warrior... and being a fighter. I think women are scared of feeling powerful and strong and brave, and I think that's something they've got to embrace." -Emma Watson

3 comments:

  1. So awsome. You are so strong and I am so greatful to be able to call you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know that people may not know you, but know of your story. I must say I have and do pray for you, that you will find "the peace that surpaces all understanding." Philippians 4:7

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an inspiration, Caitlin! What you've been through is difficult but here you are, recovering your life with high spirit. Steven is a good man and husband to you. He made sure that even he's not around, you can do things on your own without feeling or experiencing pain. It's definitely a gift that you'll treasure for the rest of your life. =)

    --->Levi Eslinger

    ReplyDelete