Sunday, January 6, 2013

Locked in the Bathroom

Today was the first day since Steven's accident that I did absolutely nothing. Andrew was acting strange last night - needy, like he just needed "Mommy-time" - so, I decided to skip church and Sunday dinner with the in-laws and just cuddle with him! Easier said than done. I was quickly reminded of why I have kept myself so busy and constantly on the run. Memories. When I'm running around like a chicken with its head cut off, there is no time to remember. I like it better that way. It hurts less. I started thinking about the many reasons that I loved Steven... and his sense of humor takes the cake! He could make even the toughest crowd double over in laughter. Sometimes a tad on the offensive side, but always hilarious!
Pizza Hut always seemed to be the restaurant of choice when he wanted to get all of his friends together and there was always one constant when dining there - prank phone calls. This juvenile tradition began many years before I came into the mix and would likely have continued well into his old age, if time would have allowed. He'd always call Pizza Hut (from his cell while sitting at one of their tables) and when the unfortunate employee answered, he'd tell them some rendition of "I'm locked in the men's room, can you send someone to get me out?" The funny part came when the employee hung up the phone. We'd watch as he or she looked around, questioned other employees, and eventually went to the bathroom to find no one there. Even after 10 years of this same call being made monthly, they still fell for it... every single time. Most recently, Steven had taken this prank to a whole new level. He had come home after being out with his friend. I had stayed home, as I was 8 months pregnant and exhausted. After asking about his night, his response was short and sweet: "My arm got stuck in the toilet at Pizza Hut...."

"The secret to humor is surprse."    -Aristotle

5 comments:

  1. Haha. I do remember that night. I think I laughed in my sleep even.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you talking about the pizza hut in Rainelle, because if you are my husband worked there and remembers similar pranks that happened while he worked there lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like steven . He was such a character. HE one time in music class drew a penis on our teachers chalk borad.The whole class laughed all day the teacher even lauged he never got in troulble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man. New years eve when he called wal mart and needed the automotive department... Too funny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bahaha! Sam!!! I'll have to tell that one another day! Thanks for reminding me! And Beth - it was usually Summersville, but I know Rainelle got it a couple times too.

    ReplyDelete